[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler & inherited profiles

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 17:40:20 UTC 2007

Aaron Lippold wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is anyone working on the cobbler buildcd profile=x for 0.5.0? I know
> that was talked about and if I can help then I'd like to.
>
> Aaron

Not yet that I'm aware of.    I still think this would be great and
you're welcome to start something.   Possibly some way to integrate with
Revisor (though I'm not sure Revisor will be able to deal with
RHEL4/5)?    See  http://revisor.fedoraunity.org/

On a related subject -- I did know of one person looking at making a CD
that would allow syslinux type PXE behavior without the need for DHCP
blessed next-server, but that effort has apparently stalled.   I still
think this would be great -- just build a CD image with a hard-coded
value for the location of the TFTP server ("cobbler build-netboot-cd"),
which would have the machine go out and PXE itself  without the need for
PXE BIOS or a DHCP next-server entry.    For instance, if your company
had a PXE server on your network you didn't like, usage of this CD would
allow you to install baremetal (using full PXE menus) from your own
internal cobbler server.   If no one else picks this up, I'll take a
look at it somewhere down the pipe.

I see there are existing floppy disk images that do this with the DHCP
portion (for NICs that can't netboot), so all that seems required is
hacking the DHCP parts out and allowing a config file (or equivalent) to
specify the /tftpboot server -- so if you're sitting in your lab and
office, you can network install off of an arbitrary cobbler server from
bare metal without having to have the Cobbler server be blessed by
DHCP.    This wouldn't even have to be something Cobbler specific but
would be insanely useful.

The non-network install CD/DVD thing is useful too.