[et-mgmt-tools] VM images

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jun 28 22:59:55 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 11:31:24AM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 10:51 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > 	I don't imagine this multi-VM appliance thing will ever work out and be
> > useful, but if we did want to do that surely we'd have multiple <image>
> > descriptions? The boot descriptions, disks and defaults are all distinct
> > and unrelated ... the only metadata I can imagine to tie them all
> > together would be some way for them to find each other on the network.
> >
> > 	(i.e. to allow for this, I'd just add an <images> root element)
>
> My intention was to have that all in the image tag:
>
> <image>
>   <machine/>
>   <machine/>
>   <network/>
>   <storage/>
> </image>
>
> That way, the relative position of existing tags doesn't change, though
> it's really not much of a difference. (Though I find having all the
> storage in one place a little cleaner)

So <storage> is a single top level grouping for multiple <disk> elements,
while <machine> and <network> are multiple top level elements with no
grouping.

For consistentency perhaps we should either

  - Kill <storage> and have <disk> at top level

Or

  - Add <machines>  and <networks>  for grouping the multiple machine
    and network elements.

BTW, I thing <machine> is better called <domain> for consistency with the
match the libvirt terminology.

Regards,
Dan.