[et-mgmt-tools] More Cobbler, Koan and Xen questions

Foreman, Tim tforeman at ibsys.com
Tue Mar 6 17:31:32 UTC 2007

Right. The first time that it started up in interactive mode I did run
through it. There were no options in the anaconda.ks file that I don't
have in my kickstart file.

My kickstart file is a kind of complicated one with some scripting and
templating, but it's essentially a tweaked copy of the file that I have
been literally using for years to kickstart servers. Both from CD installs
and from Cobbler installs using PXE boot.

The only things that are different are the fact that I'm using Xen and
that I'm trying to start the process with Koan instead of a PXE boot.

> When kickstarts go interactive, it's because they miss an option they
> need.  A kickstart file is basically an answer file
> for most of the install process.
> > My question is this: The cobbler man page states that I should use
> > the MAC address for the system name when kickstarting a virtual
> > server, but the MAC address is randomly generated when I run Koan
> > to do a virtual install.
> >
> Well, you don't technically have to, and I should probably
> clear that up in the manpage. The reason you would want to use the MAC
> address is so that you could do per-system templating, control the MAC
> address rather than getting a random one, and the like.
>
> This is how you tell koan to provision virt based on a system
> definition:
>
> koan --virt --system=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF --server=foo.example.com
>
> This assumes you've done a "cobbler system add
> --name=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
> --profile=virtualfoo" before.

I did a "cobbler system add --name=10.9.90.11 --profile=virtualfoo" and
used the IP address I wanted the system to end up with.

The cobbler man page states you can use a MAC, an IP address or a
resolvable hostname for a system name.

Then I did a "koan --virt --server=servername --system=10.9.90.11"

Maybe what I need to do is run a manual install with no kickstart file
and see what's in that anaconda.ks. I might be missing something still.

Timothy W. Foreman ~ Security Administrator ~ tforeman at ibsys.com
(651) 365-4181     ~ Internet Broadcasting  ~ www.ibsys.com
--
The Onion: Have you decided what you want to be when you grow up?
Berkeley Breathed: Dad. The rest is frosting.