[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler/Koan ignores my virt-bridge settings

Miguel Costa miguel.costa at neoscopio.com
Thu Nov 15 13:34:40 UTC 2007

Hello all!

I've been trying out cobbler ( 0.6.3-2) on CentOS5 and it's a wonderful
tool , nice work!

I (almost effortlessly) managed to install cobbler on machine1 and
install a second machine, with pxe, unattended, using a slightly
modified kickstart from machine1. Cool.

I also had no problem installing virtual machines on machine2, using
koan connecting to cobbler on machine1. Even cooler.

However, I can't install virtual-machines on machine1, using koan and
cobbler on the same machine, and I think the problem is that the newly
created virtual-machines cannot connect to cobbler.

Koan creates the virtual-machine and starts it, but then it either gets
stuck waiting for an address (CentOS5 distro) or just shuts down (F8
distro).

I have two network interfaces - eth0 is the internal interface,
connected to machine2 -  dhcpd and tftpd are only listening here.
eth1 is the outgoing interface.

I modified xen-config.sxp according to the docs, creating
network-xen-multi-bridge  in order to create two bridges instead of one,
and that seems ok also.

In /var/lib/cobbler/settings, I have default_virt_bridge: xenbr0

In the virtual machines profile, the default virtual bridge is xenbr0

When I run koan, I include --virt-bridge=xenbr0

However, when I look at the generated virtual machine profiles in
/etc/xen, it always selects xenbr1! (e.g. vif = [
'mac=00:16:3e:74:a9:3a, bridge=xenbr1', ])

Hoping for a simple  'it's the _____, stupid!" :)

Thanks,
Miguel