[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler/Koan ignores my virt-bridge settings

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 16:20:07 UTC 2007

Miguel Costa wrote:
> Hello all!
>

> However, I can't install virtual-machines on machine1, using koan and
> cobbler on the same machine, and I think the problem is that the newly
> created virtual-machines cannot connect to cobbler.

The virtual machines themselves don't need to connect to cobbler, so
that can't be it...

> Koan creates the virtual-machine and starts it, but then it either
> gets stuck waiting for an address (CentOS5 distro) or just shuts down
> (F8 distro).

Koan keeps some logs in ~/.koan/koan.log that includes output from
libvirt that may help explain what is going on.   Is it possible you are
not serving
DHCP on the bridged interface in question?    That doesn't really
explain the shutdown though, but there may be something in the log.

In practice, it seems KVM works better than Xen on Fedora, at least for me.

> I have two network interfaces - eth0 is the internal interface,
> connected to machine2 -  dhcpd and tftpd are only listening here.
> eth1 is the outgoing interface.
>
> I modified xen-config.sxp according to the docs, creating
> network-xen-multi-bridge  in order to create two bridges instead of
> one, and that seems ok also.
>
> In /var/lib/cobbler/settings, I have default_virt_bridge: xenbr0
>
> In the virtual machines profile, the default virtual bridge is xenbr0
>
> When I run koan, I include --virt-bridge=xenbr0
>
> However, when I look at the generated virtual machine profiles in
> /etc/xen, it always selects xenbr1! (e.g. vif = [
> 'mac=00:16:3e:74:a9:3a, bridge=xenbr1', ])

To confirm, koan is also at version 0.6.3?

That version uses bridge input verbatim, and it doesn't seem to make
sense that something wants xenbr1 instead.

Here are the instructions I use for bridge setup:
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/cobbler/wiki/VirtNetworkingSetupForUseWithKoan

> Hoping for a simple  'it's the _____, stupid!" :)

Wish I had that too :)

Hopefully there will be something interesting in the logs.