[et-mgmt-tools] Contents of ks.cfg gets overwritten

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Thu Nov 22 17:26:23 UTC 2007

Hi Tom,

You'll probably want to put your kickstart file in /etc/cobbler

When you run cobbler sync, cobbler parses through your kickstart file
and takes any templating you've added and transforms it for use by anaconda.

For example:
network --bootproto=static --ip=$ip_address --netmask=$netmask
--gateway=$gatewa
y --nameserver=$nameserver --hostname=$hostname --device=eth0 --onboot=on

$ip_address, $netmask, etc. are all variables that cobbler will replace
with actual values (that's I've provided when I did a "cobbler system
add..."

Once cobbler has done this it takes the resulting kickstart file and
drops it in the directories /var/www/cobbler/kickstarts or
/var/www/cobbler/kickstarts_sys

This way if you change the template kickstart (e.g.
/etc/cobbler/rhel-5-webservers.ks) to add something new then you can
just run "cobbler sync".

If you had 5 systems setup to use a profile with that kickstart file all
5 would be updated automagically, instead of having to deal with each.

HTH,
Harry