[et-mgmt-tools] Problems adding/removing profiles/systems

Tom Brown tom at ng23.net
Mon Nov 26 16:36:23 UTC 2007

> Looks like you've had a fun week.   :)
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "adding systems using variables".
>
> Anyhow, it looks like you've added some junk to your cobbler data
> files somehow, and now they aren't formatted correctly.   I'm not sure
> if you hand edited them or just managed to trick the CLI into adding
> things to them, but the easiest way to fix things is...
>
> rm /var/lib/cobbler/distros
> rm /var/lib/cobbler/profiles
> rm /var/lib/cobbler/systems
> rm /var/lib/cobbler/repos
>
> This will erase your current cobbler configuration and allow you to
> start over.    You might want to consider keeping backups of
> /var/lib/cobbler.
>
> If you think this is something you've managed to do with the CLI and
> not by hand-editing the files, you may want to send me a copy of those
> files off list and maybe I can figure out what happened to them.

Hi Michael

Yes - end of last week was interesting for sure!! Thanks for the many
replies that you sent. To cut a long story short i have pretty much got
things going now so that i can do  something along the lines of a

# ./buildbox.sh 00:0C:29:71:D7:4D 192.168.10.25 getting-there
192.168.10.1 CentOS-4.5-i386

on the cobbler box and this will do its magic on the target machines -
So builds, and rebuilds using koan, are so far working great.

I am not sure how i managed to get something into the cobbler config but
it was not hand generated as such, i definately introduced it using the
cobbler system add command however it was part of the --ksmeta that
caused it grief. In the end i hand edited /var/lib/cobbler/systems and
figured out the broken bit enough to be able to remove the system cleanly.

I am still getting to grips but i have the system running and the gui
functional and so far so good -

thanks again

tom