[et-mgmt-tools] koan-0.6.3-3.el4.mrh - kix templating - network rebuilt issue

Tom Brown tom at ng23.net
Mon Nov 26 22:57:09 UTC 2007

> koan is designed to deploy what is specified in Cobbler.   It's
> designed around centralized management.

fair enough - can i ask then what is the intended purpose of
"--profile=PROFILE cobbler profile to install" as that would do exactly
as i want but as you state it does not handle the IP issues i have

>> Alas things are not as simple as scripting a cobbler edit as once
>> deployed into the stack, these machines are basically application
>> stacks, then when and what they get rebuilt to is handled by another
>> process that is local to a box on the stack and so only has access to
>> koan. It seems to me that koan/cobbler has the info available to it,
>> ie kickstart_sys, however it seems to not make use of it?
>>
> That doesn't work because the kickstart_sys file without doing the
> associated cobbler edit points to the /old/ cobbler profile, not the
> new one.   Once you issue the cobbler command to remap it, the kickstart
> is then correct, and you can use koan with the --system flag (or leave
> it off and let things be autodetected).
>
> Really the easiest option here is to just use the profiles with
> DHCP.   Failing that, you should just issue the cobbler commands to
> remap systems to new profiles.

for me dhcp in production is not really an option. i can get away with
it for bare metal but alas not for rebuilds

> We're not going to do client-side templating of kickstart files in
> koan because we already do that Cobbler side, and also because to
> support older distros (EL3), we can't use the same templating
> engine... which
> adds way too much complexity, and it is also hard to explain why we'd
> actually need that feature if we already have a cobbler command that
> does the same thing :)
>
> In conclusion ... (A)  use profiles with DHCP, or (B) run cobbler edit
> command before using koan.   Those are the two suggestions.

thanks for your advice regarding this issue - i'll see what i can come
up with.