[et-mgmt-tools] koan-0.6.3-3.el4.mrh - kix templating - network rebuilt issue

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 22:46:42 UTC 2007

Tom Brown wrote:

>> Good deal.
>>
>> I'd suggest writing a minimal script that calls the cobbler edit
>> command locally, and then runs koan on the remote system as:
>>
>> koan --replace-self --server=bootserver.example.org (no arguments)
>>
>> then reboots the box.
>
> would there be any chance the functionality of using the contents of
> kickstart_sys for rebuilding using koan rather than kickstart?

koan is designed to deploy what is specified in Cobbler.   It's designed
around centralized management.

> Alas things are not as simple as scripting a cobbler edit as once
> deployed into the stack, these machines are basically application
> stacks, then when and what they get rebuilt to is handled by another
> process that is local to a box on the stack and so only has access to
> koan. It seems to me that koan/cobbler has the info available to it,
> ie kickstart_sys, however it seems to not make use of it?

That doesn't work because the kickstart_sys file without doing the
associated cobbler edit points to the /old/ cobbler profile, not the new
one.   Once you issue the cobbler command to remap it, the kickstart
is then correct, and you can use koan with the --system flag (or leave
it off and let things be autodetected).

Really the easiest option here is to just use the profiles with DHCP.
Failing that, you should just issue the cobbler commands to remap
systems to new profiles.

We're not going to do client-side templating of kickstart files in koan
because we already do that Cobbler side, and also because to support
older distros (EL3), we can't use the same templating engine... which
adds way too much complexity, and it is also hard to explain why we'd
actually need that feature if we already have a cobbler command that
does the same thing :)

In conclusion ... (A)  use profiles with DHCP, or (B) run cobbler edit
command before using koan.   Those are the two suggestions.