[et-mgmt-tools] koan-0.6.3-3.el4.mrh - kix templating - network rebuilt issue

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 16:23:15 UTC 2007

Tom Brown wrote:

>> I've applied Al Tobey's --autonet patch to koan upstream.
>>
>> This seems like it will fix your problem for profile based
>> reinstalls, because it will add in the IP info on the kernel command
>> line based on what you are currently using.
>>
>> Might be worth checking out.   You should be able to use koan 0.6.4
>> from git with your existing Cobbler install.
>>

> thanks for the effort here - alas it does not work for me as it makes
> grub look like this
>
> kernel /vmlinuz ro root=LABEL=/1 ksdevice=eth0 lang= kssendmac syslog=19
> 2.168.10.4:25150 text ks=file:ks.cfg ip=$ip_address netmask=$subnet
> hostname=$ho
> stname nameserver=$nameserver gateway=$gateway
>
> So its not getting the values, its getting the info from the ks
> template - Is there no way to get these values from the currently
> running OS ?

 From the manpage for the new feature:

--autonet

"First, koan will download the kickstart configuration and check for a
network --bootproto=static method.  If that fails and --replace-self has
been specified, koan will use the current system's network
configuration, as found using iproute2. "

What it looks like is it's finding the first thing (your template line),
and not going to iproute2.  So you'll need to modify your kickstart to
only include the network line when you are doing per-system (and not
per-profile) installations.   The question then remains (and this is
perhaps more suited for kickstart-list at redhat.com), if you have all the
network setup arguments on the kernel command line, do you still need
the  entry in the kickstart file?

Here's what your template might look like (untested, see
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/cobbler/wiki/KickstartTemplating
for pointers)

#if $getVar("ip_address","none") != "none"
## this is a per-system kickstart, not a per-profile kickstart
network ... etc ... etc ...
#else
## possibly might need something here to build the network line in the kickstart based on kernel parameters
## using a hack in %pre, though I am not entirely sure.  Hopefully Anaconda can just figure it out from kernel
## args automatically
#end if

Make sense?  Sort of?   It is a bit of a messy corner case but you're
really close.

--Michael