[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler query (and now Xen too)

Chris Sarginson chris.sarginson at ukfast.net
Wed Oct 3 08:42:22 UTC 2007

Hi Michael,

I forgot about the sub profiles being able to override things like that,
so thats a (good) alternate way of doing things, thanks.

I have a couple of other queries:

1) When using the xen kernel to do the installation, I assume that is
not doing hardware virtualisation at all?
2) When not using the xen kernel to do the installation (which I can do
if I create the VM manually) I get the following error:

xend.err "Error creating domain: (2, 'Invalid kernel',
'xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found

3) When using the xen kernel to start the VM I get the following error:

xend.err "Boot loader didn't return any data!

4) Are there plans to further expand cobbler to allow you to select the
number of virtual CPU's available?

Chris

Michael DeHaan wrote:

> The idea is that a profile should represent what the system does and
> is... the kickstart file, the RAM requirements, the disk requirements,
> and so forth -- to keep all of those things together to make a
> configuration like "virtual-webserver" completely reproducible and
> consistant.     In the end, that might even make there be less to
> configure, as you wouldn't need to create the per-system records.  An
> example of this is a development or test environment -- that profile
> might be rolled out an arbitrary number of times, and you wouldn't
> neccessarily want to require a cobbler record for every instance of that
> environment.  You'd just use koan with "--virt" and
> "--profile=development-environ".  Now, in an environment where you need
> DHCP reservations, then yes, you'd want the per-system records.
> How many profiles is insane, by the way?  :)  One thing that we have in
> Cobbler that is intended to help make this more manageable are the
> concept of inherited profiles.
>
> The idea is that you could do:
>    cobbler profile add  --name=webserver-base ....  --distro=blah
>    cobbler profile add --name=webserver-base-moreram --virt-ram=1024
> --inherit=webserver-base
>
> So, if you want to modify the profile "webserver-base" it would make
> changes to all of the subprofiles for you.   That may help.
>
> koan does offer some local overrides, --virt-name, --virt-disk,
> --virt-bridge ... though we try to keep those minimal since it's
> supposed to be a central management way
> of doing things.    Those are there for those folks who want to take
> advantage of a cobbler server outside of their normal working
> environment -- for instance, a standalone
> box outside of a datacenter needs to install a cobbler profile, but the
> default image location does not suit the environment, etc.
>
> Anyhow, let me know if the inherited profiles might work for you ... if
> not, we can think about whether per-system overrides of everything in
> the profile object
> is a good idea or not.   I'm willing to remove those restrictions if
> enough folks find them valuable, though I still think profiles (and
> sub-profiles) are a very meaningful
> abstraction.   For Web UI uses, we may even leave those overrides under
> an "advanced" tab or something of the like, to still encourage creation
> of task-specific
> profiles.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --Michael

Kind regards

Chris Sarginson
Technical Support
UKFast.Net Ltd

(t) 0870 111 8866
(f) 0870 458 4545

"The UK's Best Hosting Provider" ISPA Awards 2007, 2006 and 2005

Dedicated Servers - Managed Hosting - Domain Names- http://www.ukfast.net

UKFast.Net Ltd, City Tower, Piccadilly Plaza, Manchester, M1 4BT
Registered in England. Number 384 5616