[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler query (and now Xen too)

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 3 21:45:11 UTC 2007

Chris Sarginson wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I forgot about the sub profiles being able to override things like
> that, so thats a (good) alternate way of doing things, thanks.
>
> I have a couple of other queries:
>
> 1) When using the xen kernel to do the installation, I assume that is
> not doing hardware virtualisation at all?

Currently yes, as I understand it the virtinst library will have PXE
support in a release soon (at least in F7/F8?), and at that point we can
do fullvirt.   Right now, since fullvirt installs require a disk image
for provisioning (they can't just be fed a kernel+initrd), we can only
do paravirt Xen.   However, KVM does allow this currently, so there
we are doing hardware.     We should have something for Xen soon.
> 2) When not using the xen kernel to do the installation (which I can
> do if I create the VM manually) I get the following error:
>
> xend.err "Error creating domain: (2, 'Invalid kernel',
> 'xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found

Right... for paravirt Xen you have to use a kernel with "xen" in it.
> 3) When using the xen kernel to start the VM I get the following error:
>
> xend.err "Boot loader didn't return any data!

I'm not sure what that is, actually.   We'd need the logs from
/var/log/xen/xend.log to see for sure.     There may also be some
relevant logs in ~/.koan

> 4) Are there plans to further expand cobbler to allow you to select
> the number of virtual CPU's available?

That's easy to do, and there was a patch for it at some point -- which I
believe got lost in the shuffle.   I'll add it.

RFE filled so I don't forget:
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/cobbler/ticket/27 :)