[et-mgmt-tools] Pending support for multiple NICs in cobbler/koan (FYI)

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 14:37:36 UTC 2007

Matthias Saou wrote:
> Michael DeHaan wrote :
>
> [...]
>
>> I wanted to bring this up now for those that had an idea
>> how they thought multiple NICs might work from a user perspective to
>> speak up if this really wouldn't work for them.
>>

> Sounds all great! I've only got one question.
>
> This is exactly what I wanted :
>
> cobbler system add --name=test1234 --mac=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
> [--ip=192.168.1.50] [--hostname=test12345.example.com]
> [--virt-bridge0=xenbr0]
>                                 [--mac1=...] [--ip1=...]
> [--hostname1=...] [--virt-bridge1=xenbr1]
>
> But will it be possible to have koan install the system using xenbr1?

Yes. You'd pass in --virt-bridge0=xenbr1 to cobbler (or for a second
interface, --virt-bridge1=xenbr1.

> koan --server=cobbler.example.org --virt --system=test1234
> --virt-bridge=xenbr1
>
> Would this get the system and its two NICs from the cobbler server,
> while telling koan to use xenbr1 to install the system?

For --system, you have to define the virt-bridge values in cobbler now.

For --profile, you can specify it on the koan side, but you can only do
one NIC that way.
> In my setups, I basically have Xen guests with eth0 as the public
> interface and eth1 as the private interface, and I'd prefer having
> cobbler/dhcpd only run on the private LAN.

Sure.
>> Another topic -- Earlier there was the discussion of having overrides
>> for things like the virtual mac address in koan.   Given the complexity
>> of all of the above, and wanting to keep things simple and centrally
>> managed, this is most likely not going to happen as it would
>> overcomplicate the model a bit too much.   Again, these are things that
>> are easily
>> enough expressed in cobbler.
>>

> I only wanted to override the MAC address in koan because it was
> randomly generating it instead of getting the one I configured in
> cobbler (not as the system name).
> It might be interesting to override the MAC address when using a
> profile instead of a system, though...

Hmm... point taken. I'll think about this some. Deprecating --virt-name
in particular is probably not a good idea.
The main thing was to avoid duplicating a lot of cobbler logic in koan,
which I really don't think it will be as complicated
as I originally let on :)

> Thanks again for all your great work :-)

You're welcome! Thanks for the feedback.