[et-mgmt-tools] Pending support for multiple NICs in cobbler/koan (FYI)

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 21:23:56 UTC 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Ok... so it's about done, but not quite :)

Ok, we're ready for some testing.    It's simpler to use than I let on
earlier.

For starters, --virt-bridge is now gone from koan.   It's much easier to
set this in cobbler anyway.   The idea is to keep making koan simpler
and simpler.   As a side effect of this, koan will no longer try to
guess what bridge it should use -- it will use what you tell it, as
obtained from Cobbler.

You can specify the bridge value in the cobbler settings file, in the
profile (overrides the default in settings), or you can define it
seperately for any NICs on a cobbler system (overriding the profile).
So it basically works like any other parameter.   Yes,  you can use the
same bridge for each NIC if you want.   Or any combination thereof.

I've tested multi-NIC systems on KVM and Xen alike, as well as
profile-based provisioning with a single NIC.    mac addresses, ip's,
hostnames, and other details
can be set on each NIC.    As indicated before that's as simple as
--mac=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF --mac1=AA:BB:CC:DD:FF:FF.   (Same for --ip1,
--hostname1, and so on).

If you'd like to try this out (testing and comments much appreciated),
you'll need to install both Cobbler and Koan from git (the versions
should be 0.6.3-1).
I would recommend backing up your /var/lib/cobbler/* first -- in the
future, the RPM will likely do this for you.

Note:   I have yet to update the Web UI to support multiple NIC editing
-- it should mostly be able to edit the first NIC, but not the others.
That's next up on the list (along
with finally paying attention to --virt-cpus).

Hopefully this works like everyone wants, if not, let me know.

Today I also corrected a bug in the WebUI where it wouldn't authenticate
under EL4.   That's fixed if anyone is interested.  Patch here:

http://git.fedoraproject.org/?p=hosted/cobbler;a=commitdiff;h=a985d8584b3b6dfd8c58ecb59c8d0d865ae83ab1

Thanks!