[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler and non-Linux "distros"

Jack Neely jjneely at ncsu.edu
Fri Oct 12 20:41:29 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 04:19:27PM -0400, Matt Hyclak wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 04:09:55PM -0400, Jack Neely enlightened us:
> > Folks,
> >
> > One of my goals at NCSU has been to create a boot service that can
> > handle all Intel-ish machines.  I have that running now and am looking
> > at using Cobbler as the glue to pull all the various parts together and
> > to take advantage of koan.
> >
> > What thought has been given to non-Linux distributions?  We install
> > windows with linux but cobbler's mandated usage of ks=foo and other
> > things on the append line don't make since here.  What about other
> > utilities such as memtest or dban?
> >
> > Perhaps a different breed option to alter the feature set?
> >

> memtest and dban I just put into the pxe template file as individual
> entries. I have a windows installation system that is kicked off from a
> linux boot disk that I could pxe boot, but I think the same thing could be
> done - just an entry in the pxe template. If I could get the machine
> definitions to live inside cobbler too, that'd be nice, but there's quite a
> bit of info that I'm not sure would shoehorn very well.
>
> Matt

Yeah...that's the stopgap.  However, I'd like to not have to touch an
old server, rather just schedule it to reboot and run dban and have the
server room folks carry it off to surplus the next day.  ;-)

Same applies to the windows labs as fitting koan into the little linux
image that maintains the windows junk would be easy.

Jack

--
Jack Neely <jjneely at ncsu.edu>
NCSU Campus Linux Services Lead