[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler and non-Linux "distros"

Peter Wright wright at imageworks.com
Fri Oct 12 21:21:39 UTC 2007

Jack Neely wrote:
> Folks,
>
> One of my goals at NCSU has been to create a boot service that can
> handle all Intel-ish machines.  I have that running now and am looking
> at using Cobbler as the glue to pull all the various parts together and
> to take advantage of koan.
>
> What thought has been given to non-Linux distributions?  We install
> windows with linux but cobbler's mandated usage of ks=foo and other
> things on the append line don't make since here.  What about other
> utilities such as memtest or dban?
>
> Perhaps a different breed option to alter the feature set?
>
> Jack

Can't speak about Windows or MacOS platforms - but I've done a little
investigating in using cobbler to assist with booting/building FreeBSD
systems and theoretically it should work.  Granted I have not looked at
what patches would be need to make this happen - but the underlying
mechanics are there (you can feed a response file similar to kickstart
to Freebsd, pxe booting works very will with freebsd etc.).

at this point this is one of the things on my ever growing "would be
nice to get done soon" list :)

-pete

--
Peter Wright