[et-mgmt-tools] No module named glib

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Tue Oct 16 22:55:16 UTC 2007

Hmm...so why doesn't using the "--no-dbus" option make a difference?  Also, would things be better if I go back to previous versions?  I've tried using virt-manager 0.3.2 and get the following error, instead:
TypeError: basicConfig() takes no arguments (5 given)

Looking at the 0.3.2 readme file, the RHEL4 packages still don't quite meet those requirements, so maybe it's still something to do with that??

Thanks,
Nick

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 03:25:29PM -0600, Nick Couchman wrote:
> I'm trying to run virt-manager 0.5.1 on RHEL4.  I've gone through the
> lengthy list of prereqs for the software and have gotten it compiled,
> but now when I try to run virt-manager, I get the following error in
> the log file:
> ImportError: No module named glib
>
> The line before that states that it's trying to import dbus.glib when it
> fails.  Anyone had any success getting virt-manager running on RHEL4U5,
> and, if so, how?  Any clues as to what needs to be done to fix the above
> error?

RHEL-4 ships with an old version of dbus which just isn't going to work
in the slightest. Upgrading dbus on RHEL-4 is also not practical because
it impacts core system daemon. Probably your only semi-practical option
is to remove/comment out the dbus stuff in virt-manager, but then you
loose functionality for integrating with the host network when creating
new guests & virtual networks

Dan.