[et-mgmt-tools] No module named glib

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Wed Oct 17 14:56:41 UTC 2007

Okay, well, despite advice to the contrary I'm attempting to compile all the dependencies for this package for RHEL4.  I've upgraded dbus, which seemed to go just fine.  One note, though.  The README file has the requirement for pygtk2 listed as >= 1.99.12.6.  However, the about dialog box uses the about_dialog_set_email_hook function, which doesn't appear until pygtk 2.6 or so (definitely not in pygtk 2.4 that RHEL4 uses.

I've had to do GTK+ and GLIB to get things working - too much more and I'll likely give it up.

--Nick

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 04:55:16PM -0600, Nick Couchman wrote:
> Hmm...so why doesn't using the "--no-dbus" option make a difference?  Also,

Virt-manager exposes some of its external API via DBus, so that other
desktop apps can control virt-manager's UI. The --no-dbus flag merely
disables this remote UI control ability. Virt-manager still needs DBus
to talk with HAL.

> would things be better if I go back to previous versions?

Not really, we've been using DBus since day 1.

Basically we made a conscious design decision to only support virt-manager
on the modern Linux desktop platform, which in practice means approximately
Fedora Core 6 vintage or later. There is a lot of development in the Linux
desktop arena & to get the best user interaction experiance we need to take
advtange of this. RHEL-4 just doesn't cut it as a viable desktop because it
is frozen on a application stack more than 2 years old at this point.

By all means run servers on RHEL-4, but for desktop applications something
more recent is a far better bet. NB, I know until recently you had to run
virt-manager on the same host as you are virtualizing, so if you're running
Xen on a RHEL-4 host I understand why you'd want to run virt-manager on
a RHEL-4 host. We are evolving to the point where virt-manager will be
run remotely for all operations - we're 50% there - you can manage existing
guests, but not create new guests at this time.

Dan,
|=-           Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ ( http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ )              -=|
|=-               Projects: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/ ( http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/ )               -=|