[et-mgmt-tools] Virt-manager: 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 fail in Fedora 7

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Fri Oct 19 11:25:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 11:37:30PM -1000, Lawrence Nitz wrote:
> I installed virt-manager 5.0 (and subsequent editions) to take advantage
> of the new options to change CDs, and to add CD drives to existing guest
> machines.
>
> Each of these versions had fewer working features than the 4.x shipped
> with Fedora 7--There was no button to create a new machine, a grayed-out
> button to start an old machine, and so forth.
>
> Q: Did I fail in installation, leaving out some critical component?
> Q  Are these versions only partial trials, testing specific operations,
> but not containing all the features and commands of the older 0.4.x
> version?
> Q: Will any of them control VMs, or must I reinstall 0.4.x of
> virt-manager to get a complete control panel?

Sorry, there's been a bit of confusion about the location of the
"create" button in the latest virt-manager release. Since creating a
guest depends on the hypervisor you're connected to, and virt-manager
can now display multiple connections and their guests, the "create"
button is now located next to the connection line in the main
window.

Starting existing guests is accomplished by clicking the "start"
button on the right-hand side of the guest's line in the main window.

As far as installation, you will need the most recent release of
libvirt for the cdrom changing feature to work. We do recommend using
0.5.2, there were some issues in 0.5.0 that are fixed there.

Thanks,
--Hugh