[et-mgmt-tools] koan --virt: lvm support

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Sep 4 17:14:53 UTC 2007

Johan Huysmans wrote:
> I noticed the koan parameter --virt-path and tried creating a vhost
> with following command:
> koan --server <some-ip> --virt --profile CentOS5-xen-i386 -P VolGroup00
>
> The profile and kickstart files are generated by an import from the CentOs5 DVD.
>
> This command creates 1 lv. The domU uses this as a disk (xvda) and
> creates partitions on this.
> It is working, but not really the thing i want.
>
> I want that koan will create multiple lv's on the dom0. Each lv on
> dom0 is a partition on domU. This means that the lv is directly
> formatted in the dom0, and you can mount that logical volume like a
> normal lv (it IS a normal volume) in the dom0.
>
> Is this (allready) possible with koan (or virt-inst)?

I believe you are stuck with the extra level of indirection -- that is
that partitions in your host (dom0) appear
as disks in your domU -- with both tools.   I don't think you can feed a
partition up without a corresponding virtual disk :)

(Note that you don't have to use LVM for this -- regular partitions work
too)

--Michael