[et-mgmt-tools] Alternative storage backends for Cobbler / otherfeatures

Peter Wright wright at imageworks.com
Tue Sep 4 17:50:34 UTC 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:

> So there's been a lot of interest around having Cobbler read LDAP
> recently, and possibly I'm guessing it would be useful to have it
> /write/ to LDAP.  I know several
> folks already have their own scripts to interface between the two.

This would be a *huge* win for my environment, and I'm sure for other
folks dealing with more than a handful of machines.  As far as writing
to LDAP, while it may be nice in some circumstances - generating config
files alone would be excellent.

<snip>

> Most likely what would happen is I'll implement the framework for
> allowing arbitrary formats with a sqlite prototype, and if someone else
> wants to add
> in LDAP later that would be pretty easy to do by following the sqlite
> module's lead.

SQL support would be interesting - assuming that most people store their
machine inventory in some soft of RDBMS - but for my use I think having
LDAP support will scale better to multiple facilities.  Enterprise LDAP
implementations are generally designed with replication in mind (be it
for a local LDAP cluster or to replicate a LDAP domain across multiple
sites) - replicating a SQL DB seems like excessive baggage, especially
if you are hoping to use cobbler/koan to manage multiple sites and
datacenters.

> The other thing on the radar is finally making the XMLRPC API
> bi-directional (by adding an additional secure version on another port)
> to make the life of webapps using the Cobbler API easier.  I've been
> meaning to do that for a while.   Until then apps that need write access
> to cobbler configs can go through the python API and/or the YAML tree.

nice!!

<snip>

> Comments?  Questions?    Ideas?

thanks for all the hard work you've done with cobbler/koan - it's
literally shaved several weeks of engineering time for a project I am
working on!

I wish I had more time to help out getting these features added to
cobbler, unfortunately that is unlikely for the foreseeable future.  I
can offer testing, debugging help and as usual my two bit's :)

-pete

--
Peter Wright
Systems Administrator