[et-mgmt-tools] Configuring a cdrom

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 13:02:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 07:56:39AM -0400, Michael N. Moran wrote:
> <n00b alert>
>
> Using my shinny new notebook with an Intel T7300 (VT)
> and FC7 installed, I successfully created a virtual
> machine running Windoze XP SP2 using virt-manager
> under KVM.
>
> The only hiccup came after the first reboot when I
> lost my CD-ROM "device". Googling and fiddling led
> me to delete-and-then "re-create" using the semi-installed
> image. This allowed me to finish the install.
>
> Networking and *many* Windoze things work! I *love*
> seeing Windoze-in-a-window :-)
>
> However, I am now unable to find a way to attach
> a CD-ROM to install *other* software.
>
> I've googled and searched for config files to no
> avail. The XML config file in /etc/libvirt/qemu
> seems to be created by libvirt/virt-manager, but
> not read by the virt-manager, since I can delete
> it and re-launch virt-manager and *still* have my
> virtual machine configuration ...

The config files are read by the libvirt daemon, so if you change them
you need to do '/etc/init.d/libvirtd reload' to make it detect changes.

> I tried using virt-manager itself, but cannot seem
> to find any graphical way to add a CD-ROM.

The version of virt-manager currently in F7 does not have ability to add
a CDROM device - it can only add regular disks. We added support for CDROM
in 0.5.0, but that release is too buggy to push to F7 at this time.  So
at this time either use a disk, or edit the config file in /etc/libvirt
to add the CDROM

Regards,
Dan.