[et-mgmt-tools] Starting again with a new cobbler server

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 19:58:23 UTC 2008

drew einhorn wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> drew einhorn wrote:
>>

>>> I am building a new cobbler server, going back to the beginning
>>> and starting form scratch.
>>>
>>> The links from the "Source RPM Build Instructions for RHEL5"
>>> section of the download page are broken.
>>>

>>  So they are.   Thankfully these are in EPEL now so I can update the
>> links/instructions.  Will do.
>>
>>  That's really all you have to do to install as well -- just configure your
>> system to use EPEL as a yum repo
>>  and "yum install cobbler".   There's not really a need to rebuild the
>> source RPMs unless you are doing development on them.
>>

> yum-utils is not found in CentOS5 EPEL, unless I am looking in the wrong place.
>
> We do have:
>
>     yum-utils.                   noarch    1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2   base
>
> in the CentOS 5.1 base distro.

There is no CentOS 5 EPEL, there is only EPEL, which works for all
derivative distributions equally.
The instructions on the website do say "RHEL 5 rebuild" instructions :)

> I have been leery of the EPEL repo, since there was a time, not long ago,
> when their packagers were blatantly refusing to cooperate with other
> repos on compatibility issues.  I hope times have changed.

I don't see a basis for that at all.

EPEL's goal is providing a common repo for packages usable by all
yum consumers.   It's a fantastic service as it allows any Fedora hosted
project to also offer up RPMs
to Enterprise Linux using the same repositories.

yum-utils is in the testing repos, so perhaps you were looking in stable
-- either way, it's not needed
if you are running CentOS as that was in the base repo.