[et-mgmt-tools] "Snippet Groups"

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 14:52:10 UTC 2008

Aaron Lippold wrote:

> My thinking was to break them up into snippets then for the once I
> could, define variables to make them more useful.
>
> What I liked about this was that I could then use the snippets in
> other places. But perhaps puppet is a good choice or something like
> it. Although one of the selling points I do want to try to keep is
> that we are using base technology. I am hoping to keep my provisioning
> and upkeep system as simple as possible.

Sure.   The above snippet system should work fine for what you want to
do.    Essentially the snippet insertion is done /before/ running things
through Cheetah, so when given to Cheetah the templates look as if they
were all part of one big file all along ... so if you do "#set foo =
'bar'" in one snippet (or in the master template), it's valid later on
down the line.

Presently you cannot have one snippet include other snippets through the
Cobbler facility, though you can use Cheetah's built-in include if you
need that.   Cheetah includes require the usage of "#set global" for
passing variables between includes.

--Michael