[et-mgmt-tools] "Snippet Groups"

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Apr 15 17:20:58 UTC 2008

Aaron Lippold wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Thanks for the good feedback. It was good to have a new way to think
> about. So has the group talked about the line between provisioning and
> CM? I haven't found much online about when the business process moves
> from the provisioning architecture to the cm architecture. It might be
> a good thing to throw out to the list.

Generally the idea is once you get to a certain level of complexity you
will want to use kickstart for setting up your disks, repos, initial
package lists, and bootstrapping your config management software, so
that you can stop having to express your entire configuration in
kickstart scripts or use less maintainable ways of pushing configuration
files out.   Config management systems tend to describe the way systems
should "keep being", as opposed to actions that should just happen
once.   For instance, "this package should be installed at that version
and this should be running".

As an example, see
https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/UsingCobblerWithConfigManagementSystem,
which uses Cobbler's --ksmeta facility to indicate a mapping between a
Cobbler profile and Puppet classes.  That probably works similarly in
other configuration management systems.   Reviews and improvements to
that doc are welcome as it's been a while since I tried that, and things
may have changed with Puppet since.   Contributions for how to integrate
Cobbler with other config management systems are welcome too.    We can
probably do some work to make that easier in a future release if there
is a lot of interest in this, though one will never require the other.

In general, we don't want to explicitly link certain config management
tools with certain provisioning tools and vice versa, as part of the
power of smaller, lightweight tools is being able to swap things in and
out, and also being able to use one without the other when you are
starting out.   Things are more flexible that way.   All it really takes
to integrate them is a little magic in your kickstart file and a Cobbler
--ksmeta parameter.

This means that you can assign a webservers profile to a few config
management classes, and a specific server, if you want, to one more in
addition to what the profile is assigned to.  (For instance, a server
could be a "webserver" profile but also be assigned to a class that
dealt with
something hardware/system specific).

--Michael

> This way we can at least have some basic structure so that, like my
> requests, we can evaluate which bucket they fall into.

There are no buckets, it's more of a large sandbox :)

--Michael