[et-mgmt-tools] re: "invalid kernel" -- found the problem!

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Feb 4 21:00:37 UTC 2008

Rainer Duffner wrote:

> Am 04.02.2008 um 21:27 schrieb JimmyT _:
>
>> I told you what we changed .... a new box, with a fresh download, and
>> a vanilla install.
>>
>> Based on your reposnse, it's clear the perception is that "it's us".
>>
>> Fair enough. We'll stick to supported products.
>>

> Do physical installs work?
> It works here, basically out-of-the-box.
>
> Sometimes, though, the RPC-XML interface can get "cobbled" and I've
> got to restart httpd+cobblerd.
> Haven't figured out why, though.

Development cobbler from git (0.7.X, 0.8 candidate) has some logging
updates that also include much better remote exception handling, so stay
tuned for that, I suspect that should go away. I haven't seen any issues
with cobblerd from the development build which I've been running in a
/long/ time. I do recall some issues with cobblerd in previous releases.

> I really wish I had something like cobbler for my FreeBSD-installations.

I'm not sure I've mentioned that to you yet or not (I know I have some
other folks) --

Cobbler already has support in there to do SuSE/Debian type installs
(they take an answer file, even if it's not technically a kickstart). If
there's an easy enough way to adapt
the code (mainly action_sync.py and item_distro.py) to grok the BSD
differences, I'd be willing to take incorporate it. Honestly I'm not all
that familiar with what it takes to
network install BSDs -- patches definitely welcome though.

> There's a lot I don't like about Linux - but RHELs kickstart + cobbler
> works _very_ well.

> And I really get better "support" from Michael et.al. via IRC/ML than
> I get from other, wanna-be vendors via a paid contract.

Glad to hear that. Thanks!