[et-mgmt-tools] Problems with Xen PXE installs

Sean Embry Sean.Embry at nisd.net
Mon Feb 18 23:07:23 UTC 2008

Pardon if this was covered before... I looked through the last
2 months archive, and found only "Invalid Kernel", and that
appeared to be all distros, not just xen.

Did a bare metal install to what would become
the cobbler server via DVD of Fedora 8 i686, (32 bit)
non-xen install. Set up 8 IPs in /var/lib/cobbler for DHCP
in a subnet without DHCP, imported images for
Fedora 8 (32 and 64 bit), and RH 5.2 (32 and 64).

All non Xen installs work fine, but no Xen kernels will. From
the PXE boot prompt, selecting "menu", then any Xen
kernel gives a "Invalid kernel" error. I don't see anything
out of place in the error logs, and I'm pretty much stuck
on dead center. I guess I could just stay with non-xen
and add it later via "Add/Remove Software", but that
seems to be a pain in the neck I'd rather do without...

I've not tried xen installs using ftp or http yet, that's for the
morning...

Please let me know what other info I can provide to
trouble shoot this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Sean Embry
Systems/Database Administrator