[et-mgmt-tools] Problems with Xen PXE installs

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Feb 19 14:23:08 UTC 2008

Jasper Capel wrote:
> I'm always using a non-xen kernel for my PXE-boots, I think the
> provided xen-kernel was meant to be used for DomU-installs. Why don't
> you just modify your kickstart file to include the required
> Xen-software? You only have to add xen and kernel-xen to the packages
> section.

Absolutely correct.   You don't want to pick any profile with "xen" in
the name for bare metal installs, you instead add the packages to your
kickstart.   Of course when doing the guest OS's you do need the ones
with "xen" in the name.

Ultimately having an "exclude-from-menu" feature in Cobbler (on the
distro) might be worthwhile, as this can be detected during import.
This would cause
any cobbler profiles attached to the distro to not show up in the menus
because they weren't PXE compatible.   (Note that this will only ever apply
to Xen paravirt kernels).

Make sense?

--Michael