[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler/koan virt install

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 18:56:29 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:

>> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 17:17 +0000, Tom Brown wrote:
>>

>>> Is there anywhere tht shows a simple how to for virt installs at
>>> all? All i mean is an example of a full command line that i could
>>> run on a box to install a guest on that box.
>>>

>> koan --server=myCobblerBox --virt --system=VirtSystemName
>>
>> or
>>
>> koan --server=myCobblerBox --virt --profile=MyVirtProfile
>>

> ah! ok so as i understand it you add a system as per normal and then
> reference this system name to koan to install with those credentials -
> makes more sense now as i was wondering how to specify IP info etc. If
> this is the case where does the mac of the virt system come from or is
> that not important ?

"as i was wondering how to specify IP info etc"

See the manpage for options on "cobbler system add", or alternatively,
set up the web user interface.  I prefer the command line.

The MAC if not specified is randomly generated in the range reserved for
Xen MAC addresses, and it's only important if you want to set up
DHCP reservations (fixing an IP to the MAC) or, transitively, fixing a
hostname to the IP.   Cobbler's DHCP management features can do both for
you (the latter requires dnsmasq not DHCPd) -- or you could manage those
yourself.  If you are ok with random mac's, IP's, and so on, then
you probably don't care.