[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler/koan virt install

Tom Brown tom at ng23.net
Wed Feb 20 19:00:28 UTC 2008

> "as i was wondering how to specify IP info etc"
>
> See the manpage for options on "cobbler system add", or alternatively,
> set up the web user interface.  I prefer the command line.
>
> The MAC if not specified is randomly generated in the range reserved
> for Xen MAC addresses, and it's only important if you want to set up
> DHCP reservations (fixing an IP to the MAC) or, transitively, fixing a
> hostname to the IP.   Cobbler's DHCP management features can do both
> for you (the latter requires dnsmasq not DHCPd) -- or you could manage
> those yourself.  If you are ok with random mac's, IP's, and so on, then
> you probably don't care.

yes thanks - i have been using this fine for a few months now with
'real' systems so it was assigning IP's to a virt system that was
slightly puzzling me. So i take it that i can add a system and just omit
the reference to the mac address and then reference that system to koan
to get the virt machine installed.