[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler/koan virt install

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 19:05:45 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:

>> "as i was wondering how to specify IP info etc"
>>
>> See the manpage for options on "cobbler system add", or
>> alternatively, set up the web user interface.  I prefer the command
>> line.
>>
>> The MAC if not specified is randomly generated in the range reserved
>> for Xen MAC addresses, and it's only important if you want to set up
>> DHCP reservations (fixing an IP to the MAC) or, transitively, fixing
>> a hostname to the IP.   Cobbler's DHCP management features can do
>> both for you (the latter requires dnsmasq not DHCPd) -- or you could
>> manage those yourself.  If you are ok with random mac's, IP's, and so
>> on, then
>> you probably don't care.
>
> yes thanks - i have been using this fine for a few months now with
> 'real' systems so it was assigning IP's to a virt system that was
> slightly puzzling me. So i take it that i can add a system and just
> omit the reference to the mac address and then reference that system
> to koan to get the virt machine installed.
Totally.   If you want to name the virtual system "foosball" you can, or
you can just decide to provision based on profiles.   If you do that,
the best invocation is:

koan --virt --profile=profile-xen --server=cobblerBox --virt-name=foosball

That way you get a better name than the one cobbler will generate for
you, and it will make more sense when you look at it in virsh or
virt-manager later.

The reason to use virt provisioning based on the system would be if you
wanted DHCP control, or if you were doing per-system templating.   In
most cases, I just use --profile for virt.