[et-mgmt-tools] virt-path modification sugestion

Adrian Revill adrian.revill at shazamteam.com
Wed Feb 27 15:33:05 UTC 2008

Ah yes very good point, of course i can use the /dev/volGroup/logicalVol
Dohh blindingly obvious.

Thx for the quick reply, BTW cobbler is damm excellent, im very
impressed. So far ;)

Michael DeHaan  wrote:

Python's easy :)

Anyhow, if --virt-path is an LVM volume, the idea with systemName-diskN
nomenclature is that you can specify that a virtual machine gets
multiple disks

cobbler profile edit --name=foo --virt-size=5,6,7

In this example, it would get 3 disks -- 5GB, 6GB, and 7GB

The disks would be named as follows:

virtName-disk0
virtName-disk1
virtName-disk2

Essentially the thought is that allowing too much variance in naming
here is going to cause some confusion, and using the virt name and the
disk numbers ensure things don't stomp over each other.

If you want to specify a specific LVM partition, you can still
pre-create it and then specify it with it's full "/dev" path.

Make sense?

I believe there are a several people using the LVM/virt stuff as above
so I'm not sure I'd want to change it and possibly break them.