[et-mgmt-tools] new install with existing repos

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Jan 8 15:39:50 UTC 2008

Michael Harrison wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the high-level configuration overview for the case in which
> repos exist, and there is no need to replicate them on the cobbler
> server?

Add them to your kickstart file as normal in that case.

There is an RFE for being able to represent external repos in the
cobbler configuration
for easy management (in fact, I think I filed it) but nothing is
implemented quite yet.
> I haven't figured out how to tell cobbler "the repo is at this ftp or
> http server/path".

cobbler repo add --name=foo --path=http://blah is how this is done for
repositories that you
want to mirror.

For repositories that you do not want to mirror, you can just add them
into your kickstart file/template
manually.

> I tried cobbler import --available-as, but that complained about
> missing a --path argument. There is no path, the distro is on the ftp
> server.

Cobbler import does require a filesystem path, --available-as was
created for doing imports of distribution trees that
are also available on external filers, so trees can be scanned over NFS
and not duplicated.

(Do not confuse install trees with yum repositories.)

> A different angle on the same question, I expect cobbler to need what
> argument to give the url argument in the kickstart file, which is the
> ftp/http/nfs path I tried passing as the --available-as argument.

Yes, import sets the url parameter automagically.   If you do an import
(a DVD import
may be easier for starters, if you are having trouble figuring out what
--available as is, it's a niche
case, as I've said, for external filers) and then cat
/var/lib/cobbler/distros, you'll see that there is a metadata
variable set for "tree" and a matching "$tree" in the kickstart template
where this is filled in.

See here:

http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/cobbler-import.php

> It
> shouldn't need to have a repo local on the cobbler system.

Correct.