[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler-1.0.1-2 - build problem using koan

Tom Brown tom at ng23.net
Tue Jul 1 15:34:26 UTC 2008

> If you have those variables stored on the system object's --kopts, you
> just invoke koan as:
>
> koan --server=cobbler.example.org --replace-self
> --system=this_system_name
>
> If the mac address is in Cobbler, it's smart enough to auto-find the
> system, so you can just do:
>
> koan --server=cobbler.example.org --replace-self
>
> I think what you're saying is if the network parameters are not in
> --kopts, but are stored on the interface, they don't show up in --kopts.
> This is true.
>
> Before we used to have a parameter to auto-discover the network
> details from the local system and append them to the kernel options
> line to eliminate DHCP, however due to some python version
> incompatibilies we had to remove that feature.   If that is
> interesting, this is something that we could work on cleaning up and
> adding back.
>
> Another option would be to add in support for just using the IP info
> in cobbler and adding /that/ to --kopts implicitly.
>
> Perhaps this would look like:
>
> koan --server=cobbler.example.org --replace-self --use-static-interface=0
>
> All of these problems of course go away when you have DHCP :)

you have hit the nail on the head and also why this used to 'work' but
seemed to stop working for me when i installed another cobbler server in
a network where DHCP is a big no-no (but thats another thing i'm working
an angle on ;))

the feature of auto-appending the network details was nice to have but
personally using the IP info available to cobbler and just adding that
implicitly to -kopts would be the way to go, thats how i have solved
this issue for me by adding a bit to a script but it would be nice if it
did this by default.

IMHO