[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler-1.0.1-2 - build problem using koan

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Jul 1 15:29:54 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:

>> Hmm, I'm not sure I understand the question.    All kernel options
>> given to cobbler settings, distros, profiles, and systems end up used
>> by koan.
>>
>> Can you elaborate?
>>

> on a rebuild IP, mask and gateway info thats in cobbler does not get
> pulled by koan and inserted onto the grub command line unless you
> specify the --kopts when you provision a system or hand it to koan at
> the rebuild time.

If you have those variables stored on the system object's --kopts, you
just invoke koan as:

koan --server=cobbler.example.org --replace-self --system=this_system_name

If the mac address is in Cobbler, it's smart enough to auto-find the
system, so you can just do:

koan --server=cobbler.example.org --replace-self

I think what you're saying is if the network parameters are not in
--kopts, but are stored on the interface, they don't show up in --kopts.
This is true.

Before we used to have a parameter to auto-discover the network details
from the local system and append them to the kernel options line to
eliminate DHCP, however due to some python version incompatibilies we
had to remove that feature.   If that is interesting, this is something
that we could work on cleaning up and adding back.

Another option would be to add in support for just using the IP info in
cobbler and adding /that/ to --kopts implicitly.

Perhaps this would look like:

koan --server=cobbler.example.org --replace-self --use-static-interface=0

All of these problems of course go away when you have DHCP :)