[et-mgmt-tools] Using libvirt-remote with python-virtinst?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 29 08:50:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 05:48:36PM -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Today I tried using a remote connection string within koan.  The idea
> here is to be able to use koan against boxes that have libvirtd
> installed but do not have koan installed.
>
> guest =
> virtinst.FullVirtGuest(hypervisorURI="qemu+ssh://root@drwily.rdu.redhat.com/system",
> ...)
>
> This works fine up until the point where it wants to create the disk.
>
> I heard on #ovirt that there may be some work being done to make the API
> of python-virtinst be smart enough to be able to create remote disks?

It needs virtinst to be fully ported to use the storage APIs, which is
something Cole is working on right now. There's probably a few other
places where we still hit local machine state, but that can be cleaned
up by use of the capabilities XML and other libvirt APIs (eg BlockPeek
to check for MBR signature).

Daniel