[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler: defining network profiles

Peter Wright wright at imageworks.com
Mon Jun 2 20:53:40 UTC 2008

James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov wrote:
> Greetings folks.  I was working out a RFE with mpdehaan in #cobbler this
> morning, and he thought I should post it here to get other folks input.
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/ticket/164
>
> I think it would be a great addition to be able to define network profiles
> for systems/profiles, etc.
>
> A network profile would consist of :
>
> subnet mask default gateway dns server

hmm - that's an interesting idea.  that would make IP'ing workstations
here a little easier, and less error prone.

it would be very helpful for sites that have a ton of VLANs - with this
method you could have your senior admins create profiles for all your
VLANs ahead of time - then easily have your junior admins assign network
profiles based on the location of a desktop for example (we use a
separate VLAN for each teleco closet here - and system moves are pretty
frequent unfortunately).

<snip>
> In the background, my guess is that the information is still stored the
> same way, and if a network profile is changed, systems that use it are
> synced whenever a cobbler sync occurs.

Yea that would be best I think - you may want to make these changes to
many systems for example, but only have dhcpd change it's config after a
sync.

great idea!

-pete

--