[et-mgmt-tools] Question about the reason of disabling create remote guest.

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jun 5 10:19:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 05:18:06PM +0900, Atsushi SAKAI wrote:
> Hi, Dan
>
> I have a question about remote guest creation on virt-manager.
>
> Is there any reason of disabling functionality?
> http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/applications/virt-manager--devel?cs=686a43c1c0e7
> I am looking around the ML archive but I cannot found the reason.

Historically there wer several problems

 - It poked in /proc to determine what HV / guests were supported.
   THis is now fixed since we use the capabilities APIs
 - It accesses local filesystem to create disk images. This can be
   fixed by swithcing to use the storage APIs, which I believe Cole
   has been looking at
 - It downloads kernel/initrd images to local files. This can be fixed
   by only allowing PXE for remote hosts, or using storage APIs to find
   CD ISO images remotely.

There's probably a few other loose ends to tidy up, but we're pretty close
to being able to suport remote guest creation once the storage APIs are
used by virt-manager

Regards,
Daniel.