[et-mgmt-tools] Re: Cobbler reposync cron script

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Jun 12 15:53:20 UTC 2008

Matt Hyclak wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:38:42AM -0700, Sandor W. Sklar enlightened us:

>>> As I always say, if it looks too complicated, there's probably a
>>> better way to do it:
>>>
>>> for name in `cobbler repo list`
>>> do
>>> 	run $name
>>> done
>>>
>> ... and I'm not sure why:
>>
>> cobbler reposync > /dev/null
>>
>> ... isn't sufficient.  Is there an advantage to doing the repos one at
>> a time?  I've got the above.  If everything works, I get no email.  If
>> there is a problem, it gets sent to stderr, so I get email.
>>

> cobbler stops processing the remaining repos if it hits an error in one, so
> doing them one at a time allows the others to complete.

That's something we can do in the code later, no doubt. Until then, this
does the job. The great thing is it doesn't really matter if it's Python
or shell as long as it works :)

I'll see about adding a --retries to reposync in the future. I believe
there is already an RFE for a flag to skip the ones that
fail without blocking the rest.