[et-mgmt-tools] build over eth1

Matt Baker matt.baker at colocity.com
Thu Jun 26 08:48:40 UTC 2008

After successfully building a couple of machines using cobbler, I was
after some suggestions on the best way to go about rolling it out on
a larger scale.

Our machines all have two ethernet interfaces setup as follows:

eth0 - public interface, will be configured with a static IP
eth1 - build network, will be configured using DHCP managed by
cobbler, with PXE booting across this network.

After a bit of playing around, I have managed to get PXE booting from
eth1 okay, and the first steps of the process occur okay. The OS
though (CentOS) keeps still prompting for the IP address to assign eth0

The system was added to cobbler using the following command:

cobbler system add --profile=CentOS-5.1-x86_64 --interface=0 --
ip=x..x.x.1 --mac=00:x:x:x:9A:F8 --gateway=x.x.x.254 --interface=1 --
name=00:x:x:x:9A:F9

where the IP x.x.x.1 is on the public interface (ethernet addr
00:x:x:x:9A:F8)
and ethernet 00:x:x:x:9A:F9 is on the build network interface

Is this the "right" way to go about this, or should I instead be
modifying profiles/ks files?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Matt