[et-mgmt-tools] build over eth1

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Thu Jun 26 12:54:05 UTC 2008

Matt Baker wrote:
> After successfully building a couple of machines using cobbler, I was
> after some suggestions on the best way to go about rolling it out on a
> larger scale.
>
> Our machines all have two ethernet interfaces setup as follows:
>
> eth0 - public interface, will be configured with a static IP
> eth1 - build network, will be configured using DHCP managed by
> cobbler, with PXE booting across this network.
>
> After a bit of playing around, I have managed to get PXE booting from
> eth1 okay, and the first steps of the process occur okay. The OS
> though (CentOS) keeps still prompting for the IP address to assign eth0

Basically this deals with not having the extra network line in the
kickstart file, not with what you have configured in Cobbler.

> The system was added to cobbler using the following command:
>
> cobbler system add --profile=CentOS-5.1-x86_64 --interface=0
> --ip=x..x.x.1 --mac=00:x:x:x:9A:F8 --gateway=x.x.x.254 --interface=1
> --name=00:x:x:x:9A:F9

This is  fine, in fact, interface=0 is the default, so you don't need to
specify it.   You can have any number of interfaces listed here (well,
up to 8 currently), and you do not need to enter all of them into
Cobbler, just the ones that you need to show up in the PXE Linux tree
and possibly for DHCP reservations.

I assume the "x's" are just to not share the full details here and
aren't literal.

> where the IP x.x.x.1 is on the public interface (ethernet addr
> 00:x:x:x:9A:F8)
> and ethernet 00:x:x:x:9A:F9 is on the build network interface
>

> Is this the "right" way to go about this, or should I instead be
> modifying profiles/ks files?

You need to do both.   If you have two network interfaces, your
kickstart needs two network lines.

Basically you can use variables like $ip_address_intf0 and so forth in
there to automate filling those in if you like, or just putting in two
lines to tell both interfaces to dhcp.  You might also be able to
indicate the other interface should not be used there also.

I'd also recommend looking into ksdevice=link for kernel options.