[et-mgmt-tools] build over eth1

Matt Baker matt.baker at colocity.com
Thu Jun 26 14:12:10 UTC 2008

Hello Michael,

>> The system was added to cobbler using the following command:
>>
>> cobbler system add --profile=CentOS-5.1-x86_64 --interface=0 --
>> ip=x..x.x.1 --mac=00:x:x:x:9A:F8 --gateway=x.x.x.254 --interface=1
>> --name=00:x:x:x:9A:F9
>>
> This is  fine, in fact, interface=0 is the default, so you don't
> need to specify it.   You can have any number of interfaces listed
> here (well, up to 8 currently), and you do not need to enter all of
> them into Cobbler, just the ones that you need to show up in the
> PXE Linux tree and possibly for DHCP reservations.
>
> I assume the "x's" are just to not share the full details here and
> aren't literal.

Correct, I just removed the real life IP's from habit. The build
network (eth1) are from private IP address space, and the eth0
interface IP's are public IP space.

>> where the IP x.x.x.1 is on the public interface (ethernet addr
>> 00:x:x:x:9A:F8)
>> and ethernet 00:x:x:x:9A:F9 is on the build network interface
>>

>> Is this the "right" way to go about this, or should I instead be
>> modifying profiles/ks files?
>>
> You need to do both.   If you have two network interfaces, your
> kickstart needs two network lines.
>
> Basically you can use variables like $ip_address_intf0 and so forth
> in there to automate filling those in if you like, or just putting
> in two lines to tell both interfaces to dhcp.  You might also be
> able to indicate the other interface should not be used there also.
>
> I'd also recommend looking into ksdevice=link for kernel options.

Ah, that's the hint I think I needed - and have now found the section
in the wiki. I was not understanding the use of the $ip_address_intf0
variable. Obviously I wanted to keep the ks files as generic as
possible (all the systems are pretty much built the same), with just
the IP's changing. using the 'cobbler system add' seemed the best way
to do this.

thanks for your help,

Matt