[et-mgmt-tools] PATCH: koan: --no-cobbler --virt

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 16:20:47 UTC 2008

Gavin Romig-Koch wrote:

> This patch enables --no-cobbler --virt installs.   Please consider
> including this patch.
>
>                                                  -gavin...

 I'm not sure we should add this.   Discussion is welcome.

The idea with koan is to keep all of these options centrally managed in
Cobbler, so exercise the benefits of being able to manage profiles/systems
there.   If you are doing something without Cobbler you can use
virt-install directly and get pretty much all of that capability -- koan
is a simple wrapper around the python-virtinst library to make it work
with a remote Cobbler server PLUS the addition of the --replace-self
code for metal and to enable the Live CD for "PXE-simulation" as it were.

It also keeps the numbers of arguments down in koan, so you ensure
everything is centrally managed, consistant, and repeatable -- which is the
reason Cobbler has profiles -- to keep datacenters consistant.

Is there something missing in virt-install (the CLI app) that would be
required to achive the above?