[et-mgmt-tools] PATCH: koan: --no-cobbler --virt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 16:24:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:20:47PM -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Gavin Romig-Koch wrote:
> >
> >This patch enables --no-cobbler --virt installs.   Please consider
> >including this patch.
> >
> >                                                 -gavin...
> >
> I'm not sure we should add this.   Discussion is welcome.
>
> The idea with koan is to keep all of these options centrally managed in
> Cobbler, so exercise the benefits of being able to manage profiles/systems
> there.   If you are doing something without Cobbler you can use
> virt-install directly and get pretty much all of that capability -- koan
> is a simple wrapper around the python-virtinst library to make it work
> with a remote Cobbler server PLUS the addition of the --replace-self
> code for metal and to enable the Live CD for "PXE-simulation" as it were.

I agree - if you don't want to talk to the Cobbler server, then Koan is the
wrong tool to be using - virt-install or virt-image should be used instead.

> Is there something missing in virt-install (the CLI app) that would be
> required to achive the above?

AFAICT, virt-install should already be able to deal with this scenario.
Patches welcomed if it can't...

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|