[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler Server OS recommendations

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Mar 19 21:13:46 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:

>> Cobbler supports EL4 and later (get the RPMs from EPEL), and Fedora 7
>> and later.
>>
>> Any of those will work equally well.
>>
>> koan supports EL3 and later for replace self (or any Fedora), and
>> EL4.5+ (or any Fedora) for virt.
>> EL3 packages are not in EPEL (just 4/5) but are easily rebuildable
>> from source.
>
> thankyou but i thought that i needed a certain version of fc(?) to be
> able to deploy full virts ?

Yes, fullvirt installs for koan need PXE capability, so your guests (the
pieces that run koan) would need to be F8 for Fedora ... not entirely
sure what RHEL contains/will-contains this.   I may do something to make
tracking/transferance of the rescue CD image easier to allow this usage
on older distros, but right now you need a version of the tools that
supports kicking of Xen installs over PXE for FV (unless it's KVM, where
that's not required).

We don't care about the Cobbler OS in that case, just the koan OS.