[et-mgmt-tools] Do you use cobbler's support for dnsmasq?

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Fri May 2 15:13:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:09:34AM -0400, Michael DeHaan enlightened us:
> With John Eckersberg's recent patch (and likely future extensions),
> Cobbler will be acquiring very good support for bind, so Cobbler can
> manage DHCP and DNS at the same time using more scalable tools.
> Similarly, we can now manage DHCP without restarts (Pablo Iranzo Gomez's
> patch).    So then, I'm wondering what are the reasons we would have for
> continuing to support dnsmasq?
>
> If you would be affected by removal of dnsmasq support, I'd like to hear
> from you, as to why you would like it to stay in place.   This does not
> neccessarily eliminate the ability to have seperate options in Cobbler
> for (more modular) DHCP/DNS choices in the future.  (Likely this is
> something we could use /etc/cobbler/modules.conf for).

I use dnsmasq to handle the DNS for my internal server network and let
cobbler manage it. Saves me headache.

I have used bind before, and if the support is there I could probably make
the switch back, but I'd recommend getting it in for lots of testing before
removing dnsmasq support.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak