[et-mgmt-tools] Do you use cobbler's support for dnsmasq?

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at redhat.com
Fri May 2 21:17:07 UTC 2008

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> With John Eckersberg's recent patch (and likely future extensions),
> Cobbler will be acquiring very good support for bind, so Cobbler can
> manage DHCP and DNS at the same time using more scalable tools.
> Similarly, we can now manage DHCP without restarts (Pablo Iranzo Gomez's
> patch).    So then, I'm wondering what are the reasons we would have for
> continuing to support dnsmasq?
>
> If you would be affected by removal of dnsmasq support, I'd like to hear
> from you, as to why you would like it to stay in place.   This does not
> neccessarily eliminate the ability to have seperate options in Cobbler
> for (more modular) DHCP/DNS choices in the future.  (Likely this is
> something we could use /etc/cobbler/modules.conf for).
>
> --Michael

dnsmasq is useful for small test networks that are running isolated from the
rest of the infrastructure. Having it available as an optional module
simplifies quick deployment and removal.

I am thinking along the lines of - project x poc x test - in a consulting toolbag.

That said I would much rather have BIND support over dnsmaq.

-sg

--
Red Hat Summit Boston |  June 18-20, 2008
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/summit