[et-mgmt-tools] Do you use cobbler's support for dnsmasq?

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri May 2 21:31:13 UTC 2008

Subhendu Ghosh wrote:
> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> With John Eckersberg's recent patch (and likely future extensions),
>> Cobbler will be acquiring very good support for bind, so Cobbler can
>> manage DHCP and DNS at the same time using more scalable tools.
>> Similarly, we can now manage DHCP without restarts (Pablo Iranzo
>> Gomez's patch).    So then, I'm wondering what are the reasons we
>> would have for continuing to support dnsmasq?
>>
>> If you would be affected by removal of dnsmasq support, I'd like to
>> hear from you, as to why you would like it to stay in place.   This
>> does not neccessarily eliminate the ability to have seperate options
>> in Cobbler for (more modular) DHCP/DNS choices in the future.
>> (Likely this is something we could use /etc/cobbler/modules.conf for).
>>
>> --Michael
>>

> dnsmasq is useful for small test networks that are running isolated
> from the rest of the infrastructure. Having it available as an
> optional module simplifies quick deployment and removal.
>
> I am thinking along the lines of - project x poc x test - in a
> consulting toolbag.
>
> That said I would much rather have BIND support over dnsmaq.
>
> -sg

I decided to modularize the code more and am keeping dnsmasq (and supporting
it in addition to BIND).   For those not familiar, the reason dnsmasq is
different
is that it supports *both* dnsmasq and dhcp at the same time.  It
actually also contains
a miniature TFTP server, but since the distro already has one we like,
we don't use that.

How it's working at the moment in 0.9.X (devel/git), FWIW:

Go into /etc/cobbler/modules.conf

[dns]
module = manage_bind
[dhcp]
module = manage_isc

(Or set both fields to manage_dnsmasq for dnsmasq)

[dns]
module = manage_dnsmasq
[dhcp]
module = manage_dnsmasq

And in /var/lib/cobbler/settings, there are seperate booleans for:

manage_dhcp:  0/1
manage_dns: 0/1

So you can use ISC without BIND, and BIND without ISC, or dnsmasq for
only half
of what it does, etc.

These are still driven by templates in /etc/cobbler -- one each for BIND
(named), ISC, and dnsmasq.

I am sorely due for writing a "what's new" in 1.0 document for the Wiki,
that will describe what the
upgrade process is and what all the changelog features are.

omapi is seperately enabled in /var/lib/cobbler/settings:

omapi_enabled: 0/1
omapi_port: 647

This only applies when manage_dhcp is enabled and the module in use is ISC.

Given this is going to require some good testing, so I'll do a test
release before adding anything else.
I think this cleans things up nicely and still allows people to add
their own DHCP/DNS servers into
modules fairly cleanly if they use something different, without having
to have a bunch of "ifs" in the sync code.

Folks are welcome to try this now, though there are no doubt a few bugs
which we will be ironing out next week.

The Wiki needs to be updated also to include more docs on this and
sample template files.   I'll also probably be moving
more of the static HTML from cobbler.et.redhat.com to the Wiki so people
can update it when they come up with
interesting tricks as well as corrections.