[et-mgmt-tools] Is a switch required?

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at redhat.com
Wed May 21 05:05:00 UTC 2008

Ole Ersoy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been attempting to trouble shoot my attempt at pxe booting by
> reading through this:
>
> http://www.linux-sxs.org/internet_serving/pxeboot.html
>
> One of the things it says is a requirement is a switch.  Right now I'm
> using a router, for which I just turned off DHCP.  Anyone know if a
> switch is a requirement?
>
> Another thing I noticed is that this was entered in the DCHP config file:
>
> host llama0 {
> hardware ethernet 04:4B:80:80:80:03;
> fixed-address 192.168.0.254;
> option host-name "llama0";
> filename "pxelinux.0";
> }
>
> I don't have this in the DHCP config template that comes with cobbler.
> Is something like this required?
> Thanks,
> - Ole

DHCP works via subnet broadcast - if you are doing DHCP across a router, the
router needs to have dhcp-relay function turned on.  Otherwise you are stuck.

The filename is set in the main ISC dhcp definition if you are using the
shipped /etc/cobbler/dhcp.template. Hence it is inherited by individual
entries. No need to set it individually for each host entry.

-cheers
Subhendu