[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler PXE Menu Under CentOS 4.6

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at gmail.com
Tue May 27 19:28:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan at redhat.com> wrote:

> Perhaps it does.
>
> With the 0.8.X and before implementation, you have to type "menu" to get to
> the PXE menu, because that menu did not time out automatically.
> So there is a good chance it /is/ PXE booting, but syslinux times out
> because you didn't type "menu" at the prompt.
>
> The other PXE behavior would be achieved by something like:
>
> cobbler system add --name=foo --mac=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF --profile=bar
>
> Where then you pin that mac address to a specific installation target.
>
> Could that explain what you are seeing?
>
> --Michael
>
>> Thanks.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for all the help so far.  I've deleted the "default" system and
now I think I'm running into a timeout issue or something similar. I'm
looking at a hung boot process and no prompt at which to enter "menu".
  Part of the problem is that I'm doing this all over serial console
(the systems are in London, I'm in California).  Are there any
peculiarities you are aware of with respect to serial console and PXE
menu booting?

I know I have set this up manually prior to being introduced to
cobbler.  The thing is, I'm somewhat stuck unless I take your
suggestion and starting adding systems by MAC address which I'd like
to avoid in favor of the menu approach.

Thanks.

-D